Sunday, 10 November 2019

Reflect on how you have changed your practice during my postgraduate DCL journey


Week 32
Ehara taku toa, he takitahi, he toa takitini!
My success should not be bestowed onto me alone, as it was not individual success but success of a collective.  This proverb sums up my learning journey that I have been on throughout the year.

To reflect on my year, I will be using the Reflective Practice Model of Osterman and Kottkamp, (2015, p70).




Problem identification:

I decided to enrol in the Mindlab course together with my colleagues (2 others).  My primary objective in enrolling was to further my knowledge around the new digital curriculum being implemented in 2020 and to also further my learning around leadership as this was an area which I wanted to enhance in my teaching career.

Stage 2:  Observation and Analysis:

During the second half of the year, we were involved with developing our own inquiry based around digital technologies.  I was excited as this was an area for further pedagogical learning.

I observed and made assumptions half way through the year that my students were becoming less motivated and engaged with their learning.  I expected them to be using their devices more to collaborate and problem solve.  Osterman & Kottkamp, (2015, p76), state that we need to observe and gather detailed information before we make judgements or rushed actions.  Using this stage, improved my inquiry process.  I took some time to gather data and find some indicators for the lack of motivation and engagement.  One area that I realised needed to change was the fact that my class were using devices for substitution rather than augmentation. This could have been a factor in these behaviours.  Slowing down this process and thinking carefully on what solutions I could come up with was important as I wanted to bring about change.

Stage 3:  Abstract Reconceptualisation:

Taking the time to reflect and consider how I was going to improve motivation, collaboration and engagement was the next stage. Being a reflective teacher I was then able to start looking for ideas and innovations that increase motivation and engagement in the classroom.  This lead me to research the concept of gamification.  Ironically, my motivation and engagement increased as I was looking for new ideas and strategies to implement.  Not having any experience with gaming, research proved invaluable to the successful implementation.  This new concept in mind, came with challenges which I had to overcome.  I had to research all the benefits and disadvantages so that I was able to make a considered judgement on whether I wanted to try this with my students. 

In carrying out this reflective practice, I have demonstrated a commitment to the teaching profession (Our code, Our standards). "Professional Learning:  engage in professional learning and adaptively apply this learning in practice".  Also  "Be informed by research and innovations." (p.18).

Stage 4:  Active Experimentation:

Through my inquiry I was able to make a change in my practice and try something new to the benefit of my learners. As Kaser and Halbert (2017) say, "the purpose of your inquiry is to make a difference in outcomes that matter for learners" (p.35). 

Kaser and Halbert (2017), also state that we have to "celebrate what you have learned, acknowledge the gains, the loses, and the uncertainties" (p.35).  I concur with these statements as with any inquiry process what you action might not necessarily have the actual impacts you first thought.  However, you are still taking on new learning and willing to make new changes to improve your teaching practice.

This journey has not ended, but merely started.  With new technologies always evolving, gamification will be further enhanced and developed.  I look forward to seeing where this will take me and how children use it effectively in the classroom to enhance their learning.

Kia Kaha! Mindlab!!

(Words 626)

PS.  Thanks Karen for your awesome first half year weekly sessions.  


References:
Kaser, L. & J. Halbert. (2017). The Spiral Playbook: Leading with an inquiring mindset in school systems and schools. C21 Canada. Retrieved from http://c21canada.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Spiral-Playbook.pdf
Maori Proverbs retrieved from: https://www.maori.cl/Proverbs.htm

Osterman, K. F., & Kottkamp, R. B. (2015). Reflective practice for educators : professional development to improve student learning.(2nd ed.) New York: Skyhorse Publishing.


No comments:

Post a Comment